Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Let's go Krogering!!!

October is National Disability Employment Awareness month. We salute The Kroger Co. for their on-going support by giving opportunities to individuals with disabilities to have community employment at competitive wages.

I have been living in my community for 15 years now. I have had the pleasure of watching several individuals with disabilities at each Kroger store location develop as strong and valued team members over the years. I know that regardless of which location I visit in my community, I'm going to see a work force that is diverse and committed to providing opportunities to all their employees.

I've watched a young man with a developmental disability progress in his career at Kroger over the last few years at one particular  location. I remember when he first started his employment; he was responsible for carts and clean up. He was very quiet and serious; kept his head down and went about his job.  In time, he was bagging groceries. Still quiet and serious; always careful to do everything just right, rarely making eye contact and seemingly uncomfortable when engaged in small social exchanges. About 6 months ago, I find him in a cashier's position! I exclaimed that he had been promoted and congratulated him. He couldn't contain his smile, made eye contact with me, and said "Yeah, I did it!". He quickly regain his serious composure and completed my order. It was absolutely awesome.

In my professional life, I have been afforded the same pleasure of seeing the commitment of The Kroger Co. to having a diverse workforce where each employee is compensated fairly for the work performed and has equal opportunities for job support and advancement.  We thank the Harper's Point and the Lewis Center Kroger stores for their support and employment of two wonderful people, whom we have the good fortunate to know and support, Greg and Kyra.

Greg P. is a valued Harper's Point Kroger employee for the last 8 years. Of his employment at the Harper's Point Kroger, Greg states that he will never retire!


No comments:

Post a Comment