Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Preston's story

My son, Preston, is four years old and is on the Autism Spectrum.  He keeps continuing to blossom everyday – it is truly amazing!!!  I cannot express how important early intervention is.  Preston receives Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Pre-School/IEP, DCBDD & the P.L.A.Y. Project (to name a handful).  I feel so blessed & thankful for everyone!  Just 1 year ago Preston was not talking or using gestures. 

I try to focus on the positive and what Preston can do.  One night at dinner the excitement that my family and I shared, because Preston pointed at something for the first time, was so special.  Birthdays and holidays were a challenge until Preston was around 3.  His nonverbal and his extreme melt downs were exhausting.  Many times my husband would stay with him, when I would take our older children out.  It is so fun and exhilarating now when birthdays and holidays arrive.  Preston even opened one of my Christmas presents this year and said enthusiastically, “Oh nice pumps!” 

Recently Preston has been showing a lot of interest in preschool and initiating conversations with me.  This is so awesome, as he has not shown this very much in the past.  Also, he did a lot of imitating words.  Now he has a pretty large vocabulary that keeps expanding.

The other day I was letting Preston know that it was Monday and he yelled, “No it’s Tuesday!”  I let him know again that it was Monday and he actually told me, “To stop all my ridiculousness.”  He says the funniest things!


I was overwhelmed a week ago, because my husband was out of town and the kids and I were sick.  Preston was playing with my hair and randomly whispers in my ear, “Just don’t worry babe!”   How ridiculously sweet is he?!

1 comment:

  1. What a great story!
    Early intervention is a fundamental element of helping individuals with Autism and their families. It is not yet known the cause of Autism and there is no cure; however great things have been learned in the areas of therapy for this disability.
    The CDC identifies 1 in 68 American children on the Autism spectrum which is a ten fold increase over the last 40 years. Research shows this increase is party explained by improved diagnosis and awareness. Autism appears to have its roots in early brain development, however the most obvious signs and symptoms of Autism tend to emerge between the ages of 2 and 3 years of age. Autism is the fasting growing developmental disability. Increasing Autism awareness is a key aspect of unlocking the mysteries of this disability.
    Delaware County Board of Developmental Disabilities can help individuals and parents of individuals in Delaware county gain access to services available that provide education, support, and therapy. Please visit their website dcbdd.org for more information. If you live outside of Delaware county, please visit your local county board of developmental disabilities to learn about services that are available from birth to adult.
    There is so much we can do when we work together!

    ReplyDelete